Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Sickness & Health - Peace Corps Edition

Well, sometimes the unexpected strikes, well, unexpectedly. Over the weekend, while visiting my parents in South Carolina, I came down with acute bronchitis and ended up in the hospital at 3am early Monday morning - leaving me dependent on an inhaler to breathe.

I spoke with someone in the Peace Corps medical office, who told me that my options were either to catch my flight to Philadelphia on Tuesday morning or give up my assignment in The Gambia and wait for a new assignment. After speaking with a doctor, getting advice from some friends who have served in the Peace Corps, and waiting to see if my condition improved, I decided that attempting to travel with acute bronchitis (especially since it may have [temporarily?] reignited my long-dormant asthma) would jeopardize my health.

I'm currently recovering at my parents' house and will likely be returning to Durham tomorrow. Next week, I'll be visiting a doctor to get medically cleared to re-enter the pool of Peace Corps nominees. If cleared, I will likely receive a new assignment within the next 1 to 4 months, which may or may not be in Africa. As I learn more, I'll be sure to keep you all updated.

I can't thank you all enough for the words of support you've given me, and I hope you're not too disappointed to have me around for a few more months ;)

No comments: