Monday, November 10, 2008

Getting Back on Track

First, thanks to all of you who sent along kind words wishing me a speedy recovery. I reached a new milestone along the road to recovery yesterday by enjoying a leisurely five-mile hike in the Eno River State Park with Kristin without recourse to an inhaler. Perhaps I'll feel well enough to resume my usual running regimen by the time of my doctor's appointment on Thursday, when I hope to receive full medical clearance to be put back in the pool of prospective Peace Corps Volunteers.

I spoke with a nurse in the Peace Corps medical office this morning, and she was kind enough to notify my placement officer (the person in charge of my next assignment) that my medical condition is improving, which should speed up the reassignment process. According to the main listserv for prospective Volunteers, it seems that the Peace Corps is already sending out invitations for assignments in March. Although this does not rule out my getting an earlier assignment, it certainly seems unlikely that I'll be heading overseas before the New Year and perhaps not even until the spring. At this point, I'm just going to concentrate on consistently checking to make sure that the wheels of bureaucracy are still in motion. I'll be sure to keep you all updated as soon as I receive additional information. In the mean time, I'll just keep up the job search and try to spend as much time with friends and family as possible.

No comments: